Links to Sherwood Youths' peals and other significant performances are shown below.
Although all the peals from the peal book have been entered as well as those imported
from Pealbase notifications still arrive about missing peals especially handbell
records and the exercise should be considered an on-going "work-in-progress".
This work entailed entering all the
performances from the peal book which covers the period 1761-1971 into
Philip Saddleton's Pealbook software. The whereabouts of the Society's records
from 1972 through to 2000 is unknown. Accordingly the information has been
supplied from Andrew Craddock's Pealbase and imported into the Pealbook software.
It is not known who was responsible for entering all the early peals into the
Society's peal book. It precedes work done by George Dawson.
Attempts have been made to show the correct weights for the main Nottingham towers.
At the time of writing the following work still needs doing:
If you are able to supply any information please email me.
- Checking all entries for the 18th & 19th century and if possible rectifying any
- Resolving those performances where a ? is entered
Where a ringer is referred to as Jnr in the peal book the name of
the "Snr" has not been changed even though it subsequently shows "Snr" in the
peal book. Similarly "Jnr" is used even when it is apparent that the "Snr" is
no longer ringing. Some peals only use the Initial of the ringer, others use a
full name - where it appears obvious the full name is used.
Where the name of the tower has changed the current one is used and the older
name is detailed in the footnotes.
Additional comments or notes are shown in the footnotes as: [Ed - xxxx]
There are some interesting peals and footnotes - enjoy reading them.
23/06/2011 Added Spliced Major handbell quarter rang 22 June
20/03/2011 Added Shrove Tuesday 1825 peal discovered by Michael Poppleston
15/01/2009 Added another new Jan handbell qtr to Miscellaneous (Joan Bird)
08/01/2009 Added new Jan handbell qtr to Miscellaneous (Tony Lees)
15/12/2009 Corrections as detailed below (with thanks to GRH)
1. Greasley 30/11/63: conductor amended to "Edmund Shuttleworth" and not "Edward Shipwash."
04/10/2009 Added missed out Greasley peal 30 Nov 1963
2. Foundry 01/06/64: composer amended to Henry Law James and not J Law James.
3. Handbells, 25/11/67: Full details of all extents provided
4. Holme Pierrepont, 26/03/69: Method name amended to "Kent" instead of "kent"
5. All peals under "Anthony E C Clayton" (should have been A E H Clayton) amended to Anthony E Clayton to conform with other entries and
6. St Peter, 02/01/75: footnote completed
7. Skeffington, 05/06/77: extraneouls hyphen removed from "Hunt-ley"
8. Whitby 01/06/80: Missing Tenor and missing double handler corrected
22/08/2009 Added new July handbell qtr peals to Miscellenous
19/07/2009 30 Apr 1955 peal at Nottm St Mary - correct spelling for Denis Mottershead
25 Aug 1966 peal at Plymouth is primarily accredited to The Guild of Devonshire Ringers (RW 23 Sep 1966 page 626)
19/07/2008 Corrections to tenor numbering where strapped, combine centuries
26 Aug 1966 peal at St Juliot is primarily accredited to The Guild of Devonshire Ringers (RW 23 Sep 1966 page 626)
25 Jun 1966 peal at Partington date corrected from 18 June ref GAD and RW: 8 Jul 1966, page 451
20 Jan 1835 peal incorrectly entered as Nottm St Mary instead of Nottm St Peter, now corrected
1 Apr 1850 peal at Nottingham St Peter incorrectly entered as 1 Jan 1850, now corrected
07/07/2008 Added peals dated 13/11/71, 18/12/1971
Return to front page